Monday, April 17, 2017

MSBA Student Success Testimonial Series: Michael Bush

Q: Why did you choose the MSBA Program?

I chose the MSBA program because it fit with my goals and was one year long (which was all I could afford).  I was a philosophy major in undergrad. This Master's fit perfectly with what I was looking for: having a career and not just working a job.

Q: What company will you be working for, and what will your title be?

I am working for Wexler Consulting Group, a consulting company in Alexandria, VA.

Q: What work will you be doing in this position?

I was offered a job which is extremely flexible and dynamic. Working at a startup is basically building a company, and I’ll be working with three other people and a part time development and sales team. Part of my role includes client relations, admin, marketing, sales, and anything other duties that help a company run and become successful. I am given broad latitude on responsibilities and can undertake most any projects that could benefit our company.  Since it is only three of us as the core of the team, I have the ability to do things and have input on our direction and business strategy at the highest level, But going out and executing on our business plan is what makes my position the most fun, especially because we have no road map and I am more or less free to choose the path I think best.

Q: How did the CUA MSBA program help prepare you for this career path?

The MSBA program helped prepare me for my current position by honing my business skills and getting me acclimated to the different terms, processes and attitudes by which business runs today. Also, helping me to gain a better sense of what business actually is, its different fields and where I fit in with my skills and personality was extremely valuable and something I would have found hard to get anywhere else.  On top of that, the professors are extremely experienced and I truly felt that they would help me with anything I needed to advance in my career.

Q: What from the program stands out specifically that you think helped prepare you for a career in this field?

We learn so many different things in the MSBA program that are going into how a small business runs that it is hard to quantify what is most helpful/pertinent in my current position.  Taking a course on entrepreneurship has helped with this, but also finance, marketing and operations management..

Q: Can you recall a favorite memory from the program?

A favorite memory of mine was when we went to New York during election week and got to see all the different marketing companies on Madison Ave and take tours of Morgan Stanley.  I thought this was a great experience and something I never would have done anywhere else.  It was very busy but well worth it.  And having our own CUA open bar networking events (especially at the Capital Grille) was icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment