Friday, September 19, 2014

MSBA Student Has Job at Non-Profit

Laura Caporaletti, a 2013 MSBA graduate, is a Mission Partner for the Dynamic Catholic Institute. The Dynamic Catholic Institute is a non-profit organization whose mission is to reengage disengaged Catholics. They create and provide world class resources to explain the Catholic faith in a simple but engaging way. 

Laura took the time to talk to us and give us some more information about her job and the ways the MSBA program prepared her for her career.

Q: Tell us a little bit about what you do in your position:

A: "I work on the development team – we call the it the mission team. I work more so on the donor cultivation side. My role as a mission partner is to work with donors called ambassadors who give on a monthly basis. I work to cultivate relationships with them and make sure they’re kept in the loop with what we’re doing and to make sure they know they’re part of the team as well."

Q: How did this CUA MSBA program help prepare you for this career?

A: "It did in so many ways. First of all, the internship I had while in the MSBA program is the only reason I'm qualified for this job.  I interned at San Miguel School and worked in development there. It was there that I learned the ins and outs of non-profit organizations, about the databases and software that development teams use and the language that goes along with raising money for a good cause. I learned through that internship that I have a passion and natural skill set for this type of work. 

I definitely gained a technical skill set from MSBA classes I took as well.  The year in itself taught me importance of discipline and hard work.  The MSBA program gave me the confidence to go out and get what I wanted. I followed Matthew Kelly, the CEO of Dynamic Catholic, for a long time. Coming out of undergrad, I didn’t have confidence in the skill set I had or to apply. But after the MSBA program, I knew I could do it because I knew I understood business, and good non-profits are run like a business."

Q: What stands out from the program that helped you get a job?

A: "Truly, the reason I got this job was because of the network I gained while in the program. Professor Phil Brach is so amazing and it turned out that he knew a speaker that has worked closely with Dynamic Catholic Institute.  He introduced me to the speaker, and the speaker introduced me to my boss now. You gain such an expansive network in the MSBA program and that was crucial in getting this job."

Q: What is your favorite memory from the program?

A: "The new York trip. The week was awesome and a wonderful time to bond with everybody. We had a blast. In the evenings we would socialize,  but we were working really hard during the day seeing companies and meeting higher-ups. The trip was very eye opening.  It made us feel like the world was our oyster and we could go anywhere, and Professor McHie gave that to us. That’s half the battle people feeling limited in themselves –  and this program opened up the doors for us."

We are proud of your success, Laura, and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment