Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Faculty Profile - Lecturer Jack Yoest

Jack Yoest joined the CUA Faculty upon the recommendation of one of our first MSBA students, Jenna Antos.  Jenna completed her Principles of Management prerequisite course under Mr. Yoest's tutelage at NOVA and made me promise to hire him for the MSBA program.  The rest, as they say, is history.  Jack teaches both graduate and undergraduate classes at CUA and is a popular lecturer.  

Professor Yoest
Mr. Yoest advises senior leaders on best management practices. He is a former Captain in the United States Army and earned an MBA from George Mason University. He completed graduate work in the International Operations Management Program at Oxford University.

Jack served as Assistant Secretary for Health and Human Resources in Virginia, acting as the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Technology Officer of the $5 billion budget 16,000-employee unit.  He also served with Menlo Care, a start-up medical device manufacturer. He was a part of the team that moved sales from zero to over $12 million that resulted in a buy-out by Johnson & Johnson.

Widely published, he was a finalist in the 2006 Weblog Awards in the Best Business Blog category and has received over one million unique visitors. Mr. Yoest and his wife, Charmaine Yoest, Ph.D., who is president and CEO of Americans United for Life, live in the Washington, DC area with their five children.

Learn a bit more about "Your Management Professor" here.

SM: What was your first job out of high school and college?
 JY: The day after high school graduation I answered a (print!) newspaper ad for a door-to- 
       door salesman selling Kirby vacuum cleaners. I wanted the position because it was 
       100% commission: I ate what I killed.The incentive was that my performance (or any
       lack thereof) was immediately rewarded by income. I was money-motivated, as sales
       managers are wont to say.

On graduating from university I had an entirely different compensation structure. I was
     commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Army where pay and promotions were in a
     set salaried pattern. This is where I learned a different motivator besides money in
     accomplishing organizational goals. The Army teaches what real leadership is -- and
     where failure is a matter of life and death.

SM: What did you want to be when you grew up?
 JY: In high school I listed that my career goal was to be a “merchant.” I have been a sales
       guy ever since.

SM: What’s your favorite restaurant in D.C.?
 JY: Ruth Chris Steakhouse or Morton’s in D.C. Ray’s [Heck] Burger in Arlington.
SM: Makes sense given your story about eating what you kill! 

SM: What made you realize you wanted to go into business?
 JY: I have a high tolerance for risk and ambiguity--the fog of war. I was a gear-head before
       getting married-I would buy broken cars, fix them then sell at a profit. The returns on my
       time and investment were higher than any hourly wage I might realize at the time. I
       learned to seek and enjoy compensation based on projects and not merely “work a 40-
       hour week for a living and send it on down the line” as the country song goes.

I have spent most of my business career with minor equity positions in medical device
             start-up companies. I moved to a tour of duty in government, consulting, non-profits, 
             and now academia.

The Yoest Family
     SM:  What do you do in your free time?
JY:  Your Business Professor is the husband of but one
       wife and has five of the best children on the planet. 
       Our oldest is in university.  I have no surplus time.
       I have no surplus money.
SM:  I think we can agree you married up Professor!

SM:  What is your favorite sport and why?
      JY:  I was captain of my basketball team in high-school.  
      My favorite sport these days is whatever my children
      are playing in season: baseball, football, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball and crew 
            (rowing). Yes, five children, five teams. Every. Single. Season. My wife Charmaine and I 
      have run three Marathons. We ran the Marine Corps Marathon with our oldest 
      daughter a few years back here in DC. Two of our children will run it again this year. I 
      hope the race  route takes them by Ruth Chris or Morton’s. So Charmaine and I can
      cheer them on from our window table.
SM:  Why aren't you running again? 

SM:  What was your worst job growing up?
      JY:  As a teenager, I worked as a painter and in construction under bosses whom I really,
             really did not care for. I have come to appreciate more the role and competence of 
             those young managers with each passing year. And I may-or may not-have been the 
             ideal hourly employee…
     SM: No question that all of those experiences, good and bad, that we have all had as
             managers and employees shape our perspective and I believe add to the value of what
             we are able to pass on to our students.

SM: Why is the MSBA program important to you?
Prof. Yoest at work
       JY: I am now motivated to encourage students to not  
       make some of the blunders I made in my career. 
       Make your own, new mistakes. Once.

I am excited about the MSBA program at CUA 
        because the faculty and students can openly discuss 
        the issues of character and integrity as well as the 
        competence, knowledge, skills, and abilities needed
        to get business done.  We teach excellence in the 
        quantitative sciences.  The graduate will also continue
        his or her career with a practical classroom experience on building trust while adding
        value. Think of the CUA MSBA degree as a reliable brand name to help get your next
        career move. - Jack Yoest

Stewart McHie
Director, Master of Science in Business Analysis
mchie@cua.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment