Tuesday, October 7, 2014

CUA MSBA graduate is one of the youngest head coaches in the NCAA

We had the pleasure of interviewing Ryan Hyland, MSBA class of 2014 earlier last week. Ryan is the Head Men's Basketball Coach at John Jay College in New York City and is one of the youngest head coaches in the NCAA. From 2007-2011, Hyland served as a manager, player, and student assistant coach at Catholic University of America before becoming a full-time graduate assistant coach and guards position coach for the CUA Cardinals in 2012. Hyland earned his Bachelors of Arts and Sciences in Psychology in 2011 and his Masters of Science in Business Analysis in 2014, both from Catholic University.

Mr. Hyland's impressive resume includes coaching and directing at eleven elite summer basketball camps over the last five years, and he has worked alongside the likes of Florida Head Coach Billy Donovan, Michigan Head Coach John Beilein, former St. John's Head Coach and current Kansas Assistant Coach Norm Roberts, and Memphis Tigers Head Coach Josh Pastner.

Of his current position, Hyland states, "I am humbled and honored by this opportunity to join the John Jay family. I want to thank Athletic Director Carol Kashow for this chance to return to NYC to a great institution with an amazing vision to succeed. I am committed to supporting our student-athletes and building a program that strives for excellence on and off the court."

Q: Can you explain what sorts of duties you have in your position and what goes on day-to-day?

A: I run and operate the Men’s Basketball Program. My hands are on everything from recruitment of new student athletes to managing a budget, to dealing with day to day operations like running practices and coaching the games, and helping students manage their academics. My job encompasses lot of different areas but my main goal is to help our players reach their goals both on and off the court.

Q: How did the CUA MSBA program help prepare you for this career?

A: In every way possible. The MSBA program helped me get into the right mindset for entering life after school. Each of the classes contributed greatly in preparing me for my career. The Entrepreneurship classes provided me invaluable tools I use every day while running my own program– I use many of the things I learned in Professor McHie’s Marketing class to fundraise for our team. Our Management and Leadership classes with Professor Brach taught me how to manage and lead a team in both the business and athletic sense.

Q: What from the program stands out specifically that you think helped prepare you for a career in this field?

A: The field I was looking to enter was very specific. I think the mentoring and career prep with Ms. Kelly was invaluable – she helped me get organized and do mock interviews and helped prep me for the job search. Same for Professor McHie who from day one was very accommodating and made sure he could help even in a field that no one in the program knew too much about.

Q: Can you recall a favorite memory from the program?

A: I think one of the highlights were the speakers and the guest lecturers we had both in class and on Thirsty Thursdays, particularly Brad Peacock, Andreas Widmer and Congressman Fortenberry. Also, interacting on a day to day basis with all of the teachers and faculty in the program and absorbing all of the knowledge they’ve amassed during their time as leaders in their specific fields.

We are proud of you, Ryan, and are glad the CUA MSBA program helped set your career in motion. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment